Poha is a breakfast dish made of beaten rice. Considering it as your breakfast option is beneficial for two reasons. Firstly, it is tasty and secondly, it is nutritious too. In fact, preparing it is very easy.
It is consumed in many parts of India. Keeping the basic method same, you can try many variations by adding different vegetables of your kid choice.
- Poha/chivda (pressed rice)
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Whole red chillies
- Potatoes (diced small)
- Green chillies
- Lemon juice
- Coriander leaves
- Roasted Peanuts-optional
1. Put poha in a colander (छलनी) and wash, not letting it soak too long in the water. Leave in the colander to drain out completely.
2. Heat oil and add the asafoetida (Hing), mustard seeds (Srso), curry leaves and onion along with whole red chillies.
3. When onions are light brown, add potatoes and turn around well.
4. Add the turmeric and saute over low heat till the potatoes are cooked through.
5. Now add salt and poha and mix well. Saute till mixed and heated through.
6. Turn off the heat, and mix lemon juice and coriander in the end.
7. Serve hot.